Bedford is easy to reach by car, bike and public transport.
Bedford is located between the A1 and M1 and is well served by the A421 dual carriageway which links the two major roads as well as the A6 and A428. On Saturday, take advantage of two hours’ free parking in one of the town centre’s council-owned car parks. Parking is free on Sundays.
Bedford has more free parking spaces in and around the town centre than any nearby towns. Parking is also comparable or cheaper (and that’s without taking into consideration the cost of fuel to travel further afield).
- Up to 2 hours every Saturday in all council owned town centre surface and multi-storey car parks.
- 2 hours free every day in Queen Street Car Park (MK40 2HA)
- All day every Sunday in council owned town centre car parks
- Every day after 6pm in all town centre car parks with the exception of River Street
- Free on street parking after 6pm, Monday – Saturday
Late night parking
Lurke Street and River Street multi-storey car parks are open 24 hours 7 days a week. Lurke Street offers free parking from 6pm to 6am.
To encourage shoppers and support local business, parking is free for up to 2 hours in all town centre multi-storey and surface car parks on Saturdays. This does not apply to on-street parking.
- Allhallows multi-storey car park (MK40 1LX)
- Lurke Street multi-storey car park (MK40 3HZ
- Queen Street multi-storey car park (MK40 2HA)
- River Street multi-storey car park (MK40 1PX)
- Duckmill Lane surface car park (MK42 0AU)
- Greyfriars surface car park (MK40 1JD)
- St Peter’s Street surface car park (MK40 3NG)
- St Marys Gardens (MK42 9AP)
Bedford train station is served by Thameslink, East Midlands Mainline and the Marston Vale Line. St John’s station is also served by Marston Vale Line.
Timetables are available at nationalrail.co.uk
Also check out TrainLine SplitSave. Splitting your train tickets with SplitSave can be much cheaper than buying a single ticket if you’re travelling on a long journey.
A Park & Ride service operates from the junction of the A6 and A421 at Elstow, providing regular services to Bedford town centre. Bedford is also centrally located on the X5 Stagecoach route, linking Oxford and Cambridge.Timetables of all buses which serve Bedford Borough are available on the Council website: bedford.gov.uk/businfo
Bedford is situated on Route 51.
For full details visit: sustrans.org.uk